- Announcement Number:
- Position Status:
- 12.74 - 19.41 Hourly
- Areas of Consideration:
- ALL SOURCES
- Relocation Expenses:
- Application Email:
The mission of Joint Region Marianas Warfighter & Family Readiness (WFR) is to enhance the quality of life through customer-driven services that make a difference every day in the lives of our service members and their families. Through our work at both Morale Welfare and Recreation (MWR), Naval Base Guam, and at the 36th Force Support Squadron (36FSS), Andersen Air Force Base, Guam, we strive to be the global model of professional support services for our customers while they are stationed here under one unified command. Please visit militarymwrguam.com for further details.
Resumes received by the first cut-off date of 24 February 2020 will be reviewed, rated, and referred to the selecting official; subsequent cut-off dates will be determined based on the needs of the agency. Best Qualified applicant resumes received by each cutoff will be referred to the selecting official.
Performs all pool and/or waterfront lifeguard responsibilities. Observes conditions of the area assigned to ensure a safe environment, removing hazardous materials when necessary. Performs rescue work, promptly renders cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) or emergency first aid, and calls for medical assistance as necessary. Conducts and documents pool chemical testing results. Documents marine life, water conditions, and weather conditions. Marks swim and surf areas with a flag system. (Waterfront Only). Operates rescue vehicles (e.g., personal watercraft (PWC) rescue craft, patrol boats, automobiles, etc.), as needed. (Waterfront Only). Administers aquatic assessment testing and certification in accordance with the Department of Defense (DoD), Department of the Navy (DON) and CNIC policy. Provides introductory equipment orientations, as needed. Checks identification cards for authorized patrons and collects usage fees, if applicable. Serves as the primary liaison between the activity, security, medical departments, and Aquatics Coordinator during emergency situations. Performs cleaning duties and routine facility maintenance as assigned by Aquatics Coordinator. Inspects stand, boards, ropes, safety gear and condition of the dressing rooms, ensuring they are within the condition required by environmental health standards. Informs supervisor of deficiencies. Uses and maintains care of emergency equipment. Enforces applicable policies and procedures of Morale, Welfare, and Recreation (MWR) regarding the use of Aquatic facilities and waterfront operations. Prepares accident/incident reports during emergency situations. Notifies management of all emergencies immediately. Works with hazardous materials (e.g., cleaning agents, pool chemicals, etc.).
TRAVEL REQUIRED: No
SUPERVISORY STATUS: No
RELOCATION AUTHORIZED: No
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: *SEE QUALIFICATIONS*
In order to qualify for this position, resumes must include information that demonstrates experience and knowledge, skills, and ability (KSAs) as they relate to this position. Applicants are encouraged to be clear and specific when describing their experience level and KSAs. If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements: Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education). Applicants qualifying based on education, time in grade, credentials, certification, training and/or module completion MUST provide proof of education, personnel action or SF50, credentials, statement of service, certification, training and/or module completion at the time of resume submission. Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
Knowledge of pool and waterfront safety rules. Knowledge of the beach environment, marine life, and beach and water hazards. (Waterfront Only). Knowledge of DoD, DON and CNIC policies and procedures governing aquatic assessment testing and certifications. Knowledge of applicable policies and procedures of MWR regarding the use of Aquatic facilities and waterfront operations. Knowledge of cash handling procedures. Ability to appropriately identify hazards or hazardous situations and identify a patron's need for assistance immediately. Ability to tactfully, but forcefully, provide instruction on water safety, facility rules and regulations, and enforce them. Ability to conduct routine safety inspections of the facility and pool area to ensure they meet environmental health standards. Knowledge of and ability to conduct pool chemical testing, document the results, and adjust chemical imbalances, as directed. Skilled or proficient in surf lifesaving techniques and radio communications to perform a safe and efficient rescue operation. Ability to exercise control over a large group of people. Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Must have or be able to obtain and maintain a valid state driver’s license.
- Must be able to work varied work schedules to include nights, weekends and holidays.
- Must be able to work with hazardous and biohazardous materials (e.g., cleaning agents, pool chemicals, blood, etc.).
- Must be able to satisfactorily complete background investigation - National Agency Check with Written Inquires (NACI), upon hiring and renew every 5 years.
- Must be able to pass an initial and recurrent physical agility test.
- Must be able to complete an ocean run swim run event (1/4 mile run, 500-meter swim, 1/4 mile run). (Waterfront Only)
- Must be able to complete a 500-meter swim in less than 10 minutes in a controlled environment. (Waterfront Only)
Must possess and maintain the following certifications:
- Lifeguard Training Certification in accordance with CNICINST 1710.3;
- CPR for the Professional Rescuer and Healthcare Providers;
- First Aid to include Automated External Defibrillator Certification; and
- Blood Borne Pathogens.
Must possess and maintain the following certifications:
- International Life Saving Federation or Red Cross Waterfront;
- CPR for the Professional Rescuer and Emergency Response through the American Red Cross or equivalent; and
- Blood Borne Pathogens.
The following certification is preferred, in addition to the required certifications above:
- American Red Cross Small Craft Safety Training
EDUCATION: *SEE QUALIFICATIONS*
- A resume should be provided. It should include relevant work experience (start/end dates stated in month/year, description of duties and salary), applicable education at a minimum, and your contact information. For current or previous Federal employees, it should also include the Pay Plan, Series, and Grade for each work experience entry.
- For current or previous Federal employees, please attach a copy of your most recent SF-50 or agency notification of personnel action form that provides current position, grade level, and duty location.
- Please provide a copy of your College transcript(s) which supports those qualifications for which you wish to have considered.
- Applicants qualifying based on education, time in grade, credentials, certification, training and/or module completion MUST provide proof of education, personnel action or SF50, credentials, statement of service, certification, training and/or module completion at the time of resume submission.
- Military retirees, please submit your statement of service.
- Documentation submitted for other/previous vacancies is not considered as part of this submission.
- Some positions have special requirements. In these cases, the selection is tentative pending satisfactory completion of these requirements.
APPLICANTS CLAIMING HIRING PREFERENCE
Please ensure you complete and submit ALL required documents to claim preference at the time of resume submission. All forms to claim preference can be downloaded via our website at http://www.militarymwrguam.com/jobs.
WHAT ARE PREFERENCES?
Preferences are advantages in the candidate selection process. Individuals can claim the following preferences:
1. Reemployment Priority List (RPL): Qualifying separated employees shall have priority placement in the NAF activity from which they were separated as a result of a Business Based Action (BBA), when the position has substantially the same duties as the position from which they were separated and it is not a higher grade or employment category, provided the position is not being filled by an internal candidate. To claim this preference, you MUST:
- Submit a copy of your BBA Separation Notification indicating eligibility for RPL.
2. Military Spouse Preference (MSP): Qualifying spouses eligible for MSP are spouses of an active duty military member of the U.S. Armed Forces, including members of the National Guard or Reserves on active duty. The marriage must have occurred before the military member received official permanent change of station (PCS) orders to Guam. MSP is applicable only when applying for NAF positions at the NF-03 and below and equivalent craft and trade (CT) positions. To claim this preference, you MUST:
- Complete and Submit the MILITARY SPOUSE PREFERENCE (MSP) CLAIM FORM. The form may be downloaded from https://www.militarymwrguam.com/modules/media/?do=download&id=91d40da0-9cdd-47d8-b35c-ec69bd4da0a0; AND
- Submit the sponsor’s PCS orders to Guam. ***If you are not indicated as a spouse on the PCS orders, you MUST submit proof of marriage prior to PCS to Guam.
3. Veteran’s Preference/Gold Star Veteran's Preference: Qualifying military veterans, and spouses/parents of deceased veterans shall be given employment preference over non-preference applicants if they are equally qualified. Preference applicable for positions open to external candidates. To claim Veteran's preference, you MUST:
- Complete and Submit the VETERAN'S PREFERENCE WORKSHEET. The form may be downloaded from https://www.militarymwrguam.com/modules/media/?do=download&id=9e9f89f5-0b7a-49cb-a1d4-c00bf57db516; AND
- Submit a copy of your DD-214 (member 4 copy)
- To claim Gold Star Veteran's preference, you MUST:
- Complete and submit completed SF-15, APPLICATION FOR 10-POINT VETERAN PREFERENCE. The form may be downloaded from https://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/sf15.pdf; AND
- Submit a legible copy of DD-1300; AND
- Submit any other supporting documentation (official statements, a document of service, court decree, etc).
Qualifying applicants with preferences are considered in the order listed above. Then all other qualifying applicants are considered.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED
Any experience, education, or other qualification presented on your application and/or resume is subject to evaluation and verification. Submissions are reviewed to determine if applicants meet the hiring eligibility and qualification requirements and to determine the level of KSAs related to the job requirements. Best qualified applicants are referred to the hiring manager in accordance with Military Spouse and Veteran Preference policies where applicable. If your application and/or resume lacks sufficient information, you will be rated accordingly or may be considered ineligible. The hiring manager may choose to conduct interviews, which may also be subject to evaluation and verification.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
- Benefits for federal employees
- Healthcare insurance
- Pay and leave
You can review our benefits at http://www.navymwr.org/resources/hr/
Regular Full-Time (35 - 40 hours per week) All benefits offered including medical, dental, life insurance, spouse & child life insurance, long term disability, annual and sick leave, retirement, and 401(k) savings plan.
Regular Part-Time (20 - 34 hours per week) Medical, dental, life insurance, spouse & child life insurance, annual and sick leave, retirement, and 401(k) savings plan.
Flexible (0 - 40 hours per week) No benefits offered.
HOW TO APPLY
Submit a resume and required documentation via email to M-GU-JRM-NAFHRO-N9@fe.navy.mil. For additional information visit our Jobs page or contact our office at (671)349-1155. All applications must be submitted by the closing date on the announcement in order to be considered. Due to the volume of applications received, applicants may not be notified of non-selection.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT
Applicants may be contacted for an interview or maybe sent a notice of non-selection within 4-6 weeks of the announcement closing date.
If you are selected for a position, you will be contacted by the JRM Regional NAF Human Resources Office with a temporary job offer. Final job offer upon completion of all pre-employment requirements (typically 2-6 weeks).
We reserve the right to close this position without further announcement.
Some positions have special requirements. In these cases, the selection is tentative pending satisfactory completion of these requirements.
All selections are contingent upon obtaining satisfactory background and employment reference checks. Males must be registered for or exempt from Selective Service (http://www.sss.gov/).
Selectees are required to participate in direct deposit.
We are an E-Verify participant.
The Department of Navy is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, or any other non-merit factor.
The Department of the Navy provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities. Applicants with disabilities who believe they require reasonable accommodation should email them to M-GU-JRM-NAFHRO-N9@fe.navy.mil to ensure that the Department of the Navy can consider such requests. The decision to grant an accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
PRIVACY ACT STATEMENT FOR NAF APPLICANTS
Authority to request this information is derived from 5 U.S.C. 301, Departmental Regulations. The purpose of this information is to determine the qualifications, suitability, and availability of applicants for employment with a NAF activity, and of current employees for reassignment, reinstatement, transfer, or promotion. The information will be used to assess qualifications, entitlement, and overall employment suitability. The completion of information on this form is voluntary. Failure to provide this information may prevent you from receiving full consideration for the position you seek.